Marina Michaelidou-Kadi was born in Limassol, Cyprus, and currently lives in Nicosia with her family. With a background in psychology and environmental policy and management, she is known for writing children’s stories that cultivate empathy, compassion towards animals, and environmental consciousness.
Her books have received a number of awards and distinctions, including two national literature award for young children (for the books White uniform and Nicolas and Elli), the children’s book award by the Cyprus Bibliographical Society (Semeli’s smile), the Peter Pan Prize of Sweden (Sabel’s red dress), the “IBBY Honor List” of the International Board on Books for Young People, and selection for the White Ravens Catalogue of the International Youth Library of Munich. Several of her books have also been shortlisted for the children’s book awards of Cyprus and Greece.
Awards and distinctions
- The Golden List of Elniplex – Two kind words and a smile (2021).
- White Ravens – The yellow blanket of happiness (2019).
- National literature award for young children – White uniform (2018).
- White Ravens – Children’s dreams (2017).
- IBBY Honor List – Nicolas and Elli (2016).
- Peter Pan Prize of IBBY Sewden – Sabel’s red dress (2016).
- White Ravens – Sabel’s red dress (2014).
- National literature award for young children – Nicolas and Elli (2013).
- Children’s book award by the Cyprus Bibliographical Society – Semeli’s smile (2011).
- Shortlisted for the Greek national children’s book awards – Children’s dreams (2017).
- Shortlisted for the Cyprus national literature awards for young children – Waiting for the rain (2018), Sabel’s red dress (2015), Seneli’s smile (2012), Sophia and the small forest (2011).
- Shortlisted for the Greek IBBY picture book awards – Peter’s dream (2016), Sabel’s red dress (2015), Nicolas and Elli (2013).